- Award Snub: Thanks to the production company not sending out DVDs to Academy voters, Sam Rockwell was overlooked for consideration.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: For music where the main theme consists primarily of two notes, Clint Mansell's score is very effective.
- Fridge Brilliance: Three years of 1/6th Earth gravity plays merry hell on the clones' metabolism and the 3 year placement is based on their expected life span in such conditions. As the company has been demonstrated to not particularly care about human life over profit, they essentially work their tools until they break.
- Nightmare Fuel: Yep.
- Sci Fi Ghetto: See Award Snub above. In an odd twist, the movie managed to beat both Avatar and District 9 (both nominees for Best Picture at the Oscars that year) for the Hugo Award for Best Feature Film, but it wasn't nominated for any Oscars of its own—despite being widely hailed by critics as one of the best original science-fiction films in years.
- Tear Jerker: See here.
- Uncanny Valley: Weirdly inverted with GERTY's emoticons. While they seem artificial in the beginning, somehow the simple emotes become more and more poignant as it becomes clear how helplessly limited GERTY's range of expression is.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: The four harvesters are named Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.note Averted actually, since screenwriter Nathan Parker insists it really wasn't symbolic; he just needed four names and the Evangelists came to mind. If he'd thought a little longer, he could just as easily have called them John, Paul, George and Ringo.
- The Woobie: Sam. Poor, poor Sam.