Al's relationship with long-time collaborator, Paul Barker:
- In interviews, Al frequently compared them to Kirk and Spock. And when asked about why Barker left the band in 2003, Al said:
As for Paul and me, it is the same thing as to when you are in a marriage for twenty years and come to a point when you have run out of new sexual positions. It was no fun any more.
- Al and Paul particularly sound like a sitcom couple in Chris Connelly's memoir of his time in Ministry and related projects, with Al as the Bumbling Dad and Paul as his Closer to Earth spouse.
- Fix: The Ministry Movie features such scenes as Al feeding Paul grapes and the two of them waltzing on a tour bus. They end their waltz with Al pulling Paul into a kiss.
- It's rumored that Al's new wife might have been a factor in their parting. If nothing else, the timing is certainly suspect.
- Al spends most of his autobiography claiming to have always hated Paul, but his wife disagrees saying that, "... Al loved Paul, y’know? When Al loves someone, he really loves them. So when Al says he hates Paul, he hates Paul now. But he didn’t hate him back then. They were bandmates and Al loved him," and that "Paul stuck a knife in Al's heart." Oooh, boy.