- Fridge Brilliance: Victoria's perpetually-stoned state, constant sexual indiscretions and partying could be shrugged off as irresponsible behavior that she will never grow out of... until you realize that they're more likely coping mechanisms she clings to because she does the funerary make-up on corpses. Self-defeating or not, she holds down a job and can be there when her family needs her. That's not usually indicative of a self-absorbed Party Girl with a side of drug addiction.
- Hollywood Homely / Hollywood Pudgy:
- The show could be the ultimate aversion of both these tropes. Mike and Molly actually look like two people who would be at an OA meeting. And despite her weight, Molly is considered to be rather lovely both in and out of universe.
- Inverted by Victoria. The actress that portrays her is not excessively thin, but she is portrayed as a sexpot and no mention is made of her weight.
- Ho Yay: Mike and Carl, big time.
Mike: Why is it that at least three times per week someone thinks we're gay?
- Jerkass Woobie: Peggy. She is a pretty mean Deadpan Snarker and guilt-tripper, but seems to be quite lonely. As of "Whatever Happened to Baby Peggy," we find out she's the victim of Abusive Parents , and for once it's not Played for Laughs.
- Spiritual Successor: To The King of Queens.