YMMV: Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers
List of subjective tropes for the fanfic Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Regarding the blackmailed Mecha Rangers, one reviewer made a rather compelling case that Shinji, The So-Called Coward, was actually the most badass member of the team:
Reviewer: I'd like to point out that despite his apparent wussiness, Shinji's the one who seems to be inflicting more damage. Who was it that finished off Clover? Shinji. Who was it that gored Deathwing in the eye and then later ripped him apart? Shinji. The point, everyone, is that Shinji is just as awesomely badass as Bit, Roger, and Van, and nearly as awesome as Simon. The difference is that his home series was written to make him suffer for it. In fact, his suffering arguably makes him even MORE awesome. When Unit-01 gets damaged, Shinji feels the same pain, and if his sync ratio is high enough, then he suffers the same physical injury. That means that in his case alone, the PILOT takes as much damage as the robot, and STILL comes out victorious. That automatically makes pretty much any of his fights as awesome as Kamina's final battle in Gurren Lagann. Mech damaged, driven by a severely injured pilot who, despite grievous wounds, refuses to give up? Sounds pretty damn similar to me - and Shinji does it on a regular basis. Big O, Shinji might be act like a wimp, but damn if he isn't the most badass wimp in history.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "Cast in the name of God, yee a pussy."
- Fridge Horror: Lelouch successfully Geassed Reedman... he now controls one of the most deadly (especially to humans) transformers in this verse... and we STILL don't know what his objective is.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In this fic, Gendo takes over SEELE, by forcefully placing his allies as the new numbers. Cue to Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33, Gendo does take over SEELE, by an even easier way: shuting their counsciences off.
- Iron Woobie: The Entire Dai-Gurren Brigade admits to being this and then you have Shinji...
- Magnificent Bastard: Seele (is taken over by Gendo Ikari and most of its members are replaced with his allies, including Lord Genome)
- Nightmare Fuel: Shinji Ikari + Monster of the Week + Cold-Blooded Torture / Gorn / No-Holds-Barred Beatdown = Nightmares. Deathwing's first death is the best example, and Simon the Digger is kind enough to Lampshade it.
Simon: "Just when I thought I wasn't going to have any nightmares...."
- The Woobie: Shinji is on the fine line between this and an Iron Woobie.