YMMV: Michiko & Hatchin
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: 90% of the supporting cast are assholes that screw each other and the two leads over and the two leads themselves constantly fight. Its like they drive from one bad situation to another, never accomplishing anything or improving their situation.
- Foe Yay: Michiko and Atsuko.
- Girl Show Ghetto: Averted. Despite being a josei anime with female leads and having an emphasis on friendship and family, it's quite well known. It doesn't hurt that it is one of the few non-fantasy anime set outside of Japan, especially one with brown and Black characters at that. The anime even got on Toonami, which focuses on action shonen mostly.
- Les Yay: Episode 16.
- Older Than They Think: Until it began airing on Toonami, most American viewers didn't even know it existed.
- The Scrappy: Hana's foster family. It's very hard to even watch them as most of their scenes involve torturing or humiliating Hana in some way.
- Uncanny Valley: Shinsuke again.
- The Woobie: Hatchin