It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Two stand out in the entire cast:
- Iris only appeared in one game in the main series, but fans tend to squee whenever she reappears. This has apparently prompted her re-appearing in Mega Man X-Treme 2 and as a NPC in Project X-Zone.
- Magma Dragoon, for being a Bad Ass Blood Knight. Bonus points for being a Shout-Out to Akuma.
- Game Breaker: The Force Armor in general, but especially the head component, which gives you unlimited ammo for your weapons. Charged attacks still drain your energy, but the charged attacks are generally considered to be overkill anyway, and the ability to spam the normal versions of the attacks with impunity is far more practical.
- Growing the Beard: It was with this game where the X series' stories got more complex, the levels got bigger and more elaborate, and Zero's sword-based playstyle was introduced.
- Magnificent Bastard: Sigma with his trick manipulating the Repliforce, which he pulled off without the Maverick Hunters having any idea he was involved. The plan to hijack Repliforce's Kill Sat nearly works in spite of X and Zero's involvement only being thwarted by a last minute Heroic Sacrifice by General.
- Magnum Opus: Competes with X1 for being the best in the X series.
- Memetic Mutation: WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!?!?!?!?!?
- Narm: Zero's meltdown after Iris' death, English version. Say it with us, now... "WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOORRRRR!?!?!?!?"
- Strangled by the Red String: Zero and Iris together don't have much screentime to suggest that they're attracted to each other, at least not until the latter's death. Xtreme 2, which is a prequel in which Iris appears, doesn't give much hints either.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: Though fandom is divided as to whether this game is better than X1, nearly everyone will admit that it's a major step-up in quality over X2 and X3.
- What an Idiot:
- When the Sky Lagoon crashes into the Earth, Colonel could have went along with the investigation and clarified that the crash wasn't their doing. But he says that warriors don't disarm and leads to his entire army being branded as Mavericks.
- Sigma seems to be the only smart person in this plot, as he played everyone into the Honor Before Reason trap and only lost because X and Zero could beat him in a fight.