- Ensemble Darkhorse: Two stand out in the entire cast:
- Iris only appeared in one game in the main series, but fans tend to squee whenever she reappears. This has apparently prompted her re-appearing in Mega Man X-Treme 2 and as a NPC in Project X-Zone.
- Magma Dragoon, for being a Bad Ass Blood Knight. Bonus points for being a Shout-Out to Akuma.
- Magnum Opus: Competes with X1 for being the best in the X series.
- Memetic Mutation: WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!?!?!?!?!?
- Narm: Zero's meltdown after Iris' death, English version. Say it with us, now... "WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOORRRRR!?!?!?!?"
- Strangled by the Red String: Zero and Iris together don't have much screentime to suggest that they're attracted to each other, at least not until the latter's death. Xtreme 2, which is a prequel in which Iris appears, doesn't give much hints either.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: Though fandom is divided as to whether this game is better than X1, nearly everyone will admit that it's a major step-up in quality over X2 and X3.