* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: When Johnny Boy walks in with a chick on each arm. Slowmotion walking and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" just work, man. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" would work in a black screen anyway, but still.
** "Be My Baby" is played over the opening credits, and it works magnificently, with the opening drum beats resembling gunshots.
* CrazyAwesome: Johnny Boy.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Although he's only a supporting player, Creator/RobertDeNiro's performance as Johnny Boy stole the show in its original run and made him an overnight star. In light of De Niro's later roles, it's actually quite different, far more frenetic and unbalanced than the types he played later on.
* OneSceneWonder: David Carradine as the drunk who gets shot at Tony's bar.
* RetroactiveRecognition: An impossibly young David Proval, decades before he played [[Series/TheSopranos Richie Aprile]], as Tony.
* TheWoobie: Teresa. Charlie counts as well.
** JerkassWoobie: Johnny Boy. Sure, he is a PsychopathicManChild who is constantly raising hell and getting Charlie in trouble, but it's hard not to feel sorry for him as he weeps like a child when confronted by his friend towards the climax. Charlie put it best when referring to him as "just a kid who needs to be helped, that's all...".