YMMV: Matt Smith
- Crazy Awesome: There are times he makes the Eleventh Doctor look tame.
- He Really Can Act: Christopher and His Kind, full stop. Yes, that's the Eleventh Doctor playing gay novelist Christopher Isherwood and doing an amazing job.
- "The Rings of Akhaten" episode in Series 7 of Doctor Who has an example.
- "Flesh and Stone" and "The Big Bang" from Series 5 are also considered this, along with Nightmare In Silver and Time of the Doctor all stand out as exceptional beyond his usually excellent portrayal. Essentially, if there's ever a need for Matt to go dramatic and serious in an episode, he pulled it off with flying colours.
- According to critics, his performance as Patrick Bateman in the American Psycho musical counts as well.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Like every new actor who plays the Doctor, he ran the risk of falling into Replacement Scrappy territory, and Matt might have had it worse than most since he had to replace fan-favorite David Tennant. However, he rather quickly won over the majority of the fans by being quite talented, hyper, and absolutely bonkers (his words.)