YMMV: Martha Marcy May Marlene
- Award Snub: No Oscar nomination for Elizabeth Olsen, especially when it was highly predicted?
- Not to mention nothing for John Hawkes.
- Ear Worm: "Well she, she's just a picture..."
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Interestingly, while the movie does generate sympathy for Marcy, it also makes Ted seem reasonable in his view of her as a leech. There seems to be an implication that the only reason why Patrick was able to get so many people to give up possessions and live with him in the middle of nowhere was because most of them knew that if the whole thing went South, their families would bail them out (one of the members even notes that whenever the cult is in need of money, she can ask her father for help, who's happy to give her money so long as she doesn't spend it on drugs). So basically, "hippies are social parasites."
- Nightmare Fuel: This sums up the entire film. It is one of the few non-silent films that does not use or need extensive dialogue to explain what is going on. Much of it lies at the level of subtext (see the fridge horror section for more information).