* AuthorsSavingThrow: The GBA remake replaces the Shellcreepers with Spinies to keep newcomers from being confused about why they can't kill enemies by jumping on them.
* DemonicSpiders: The green fireballs, which spawned not from the pipes, but ''directly on your current floor''.
* EarWorm: The opening snippet of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," a classic [[Music/WolfgangAmadeusMozart Mozart]] song.
* HilariousInHindsight: The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnU-2HRJNO4 commercial]] for "Atari" ''Mario Bros.''
* MemeticMutation: "Mario, where are you?!" from the aforementioned commercial.
* MostAnnoyingSound: Mario's walking sound effect in the original version of the arcade game is an obnoxious, scraping sound effect that gets grating fast. There are two revised versions that replace it with more pleasant sounds, and all of the ports have much better sounds for Mario walking.
* OlderThanTheyThink: Luigi being the CowardlySidekick did not come from ''Series/TheSuperMarioBrosSuperShow''. It came from the [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnU-2HRJNO4 Atari commercial]] for ''Mario Bros''.
* PolishedPort: The GBA remake has ''much'' better controls than the original arcade game, has [[VideoGame/SuperMarioAllStars All-Stars style]] graphics and a beefed up soundtrack to spice things up. On top of that, it can support up to a whopping four players at once!
* SequelDisplacement: ''[[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1 Super Mario Bros.]]'' is a lot more famous. So much so, that most (though not all) later games kept the "Super" part of the name [[ArtifactTitle which resulted in displacing the original meaning]].[[note]]First there was ''Mario Bros.'', then there was ''"Super" Mario Bros.''[[/note]]
** That having been said, Nintendo still shows this game a lot of love, having remade it multiple times (most notably as part of the ''[[VideoGameRemake Super Mario Advance]]'' series and ''VideoGame/MarioAndLuigiSuperstarSaga'') and even making it a stage in ''VideoGame/SuperSmashBros Brawl''.