- Designated Hero: Maya and Joey are deemed heroic despite, at best, doing nothing, and at worst, acting sociopathic.
- Designated Villain: Apollyon is infinitely more likable and good-natured than any of the protagonists.
- Memetic Mutation: Apollyon has a Club Of Evil. That believes in teamwork.
Arabella: “Oh no! Please stop! I am Arabella… I am famous for my wisdom and knowledge! You must honor me! Stay away from me! Oh no… that looks like trouble. I was always good and I don’t like trouble. Who can help me? I always thought… people would… ouch… oh no… respect me… but I think… I was… wrong.”
- It's hard to take the villain, Apollyon, seriously. He has a "Club of Evil" that believes in teamwork, sings "Mother Earth songs", has a water park, and keeps unicorns as pets.
- Alana Terrence's death. After being haunted by Sutornia and Cassandra, she runs out the door screaming, hoping to find relief and peace in her soul. Her friends run after her, see headlights approaching and scream at her, but she says “I have reached the end of my road. There is no return for me!” and gets hit by a car. This is accompanied by the written sound effect "BOOM".
- Arabella's death in the first book. Seeing a herd of unicorns galloping in her direction, she decides, rather than slither out of the way, to launch into a soliloquy before and as she is trampled to death:
- Protection from Editors: Tesch evidently only writes one draft of each book and ignores all types of criticism.
- Rooting for the Empire: Tesch unintentionally made Apollyon more sympathetic than Maya and Joey. It doesn't help that he has a 'Club Of Evil' and believes in teamwork... and has a water park... and likes to sing "Mother Earth songs".
- Snark Bait: Though not remotely popular, this has become famous for being made of 100% pure fail. It's not just derivative, it literally plagiarizes from The Bible, has Random words Capitalized for no Reason, random italics, and 'quotes' where none should 'be'. ConjugalFelicity.com has sporkings and a drinking game, though it would be better to avoid the game if you don't want to die of alcohol poisoning and/or acute liver failure. The enormous ego of the author is the subject of as much, if not more, snark than the books themselves. SwankiVY sums the whole thing up nicely.
- So Bad, It's Good: Readers have been known to laugh at its quality (or lack thereof).
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: The books are apparently marketed to young children, but:
Knives and forks from the kitchen shelves darted like arrows or mini torpedoes toward Alana and Dorothy and sliced open Alana’s right arm and grinded away parts of Dorothy’s scalp.
- Seven Bridges has Joey calling Maya a "dumb shit" and saying "get yo' ass over the damn fence!" No, seriously.◊
- In Gold of Ophir, Alana and her friends are haunted by Sutornia and Cassandra. This happens:
- In Law of Blood, Larivier rapes Krimhilda.