- Complete Monster: The manipulative chessmaster Michio Yuki, a blackmailer, bisexual rapist, kidnapper and murderer is the single most hateful and sociopathic character Osamu Tezuka has ever created. In one chapter, he seduces and kills (for sexual thrills) the daughter of the president of the bank he works at, fakes her kidnapping, (anonymously) extorts ransom money from her parents, then robs her father's bank and pins the robbery on the dead girl by impersonating her and finally kills her father by making him lose his grip on a precipice by throwing lit matches into his mouth. Michio does this for his own amusement. His crowning achievement is stealing a classified military neurotoxin and tryint to slaughter as many people as he can with it in vengeance for his own mortality.
- Counterpart Comparison: Michio was often compared to fellow Complete Monster Johan Liebert from the manga series Monster in terms of being very manipulative, and trying to take everyone with them when they died.
- Foe Yay / Ho Yay: Michio and Garai.
- Jerkass Woobie: Michio
- Magnificent Bastard: Michio
- Mind Game Ship: Michio and Garai.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: Later on, a chapter is dedicated to how homosexuality is neither wrong nor shameful. Given how the only homosexual or bisexual characters in the story are Michio, Garai and a cameo by a (principled and outspoken) lesbian editor (and an even briefer cameo by her lover), this was sorely needed.
- Then again there's a club-full of male ones, not counting the later scenes between Michio and the General whose wife he has just seduced beforehand.
- The Woobie: Michio in the backstory; one of Michio's bank colleagues and his family; and Sumiko; and Shansaku Ban. Also Garai, thanks to his own and Michio's joint efforts.