The 1965 film provides examples of:
- Awesome Moments: Any villain in a Hollywood movie would have the chance to bail at the sign of danger. Cornelius certainly did. But the General stayed and fought to the very end, even when hiding behind a defensive wall.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Eli Wallach and James Mason as the film's two primary villains easily steal the show from O'Toole.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: The General sports an atrocious buzzcut and beard. He looks even sillier in that sleeveless waistcoat.
- Funny Moments: In one scene, Cornelius, an employee of Stein who was tortured into working for the General, complains about his abdomen. The General replies, "Probably a precious stone perhaps. Like all things great and small, it will pass. And when it does... give it back." It's Wallach's mixture of simultaneous wry humour and completely serious line delivery.
- Ham and Cheese: Eli Wallach is the only one having any fun in the 1965 film, and is therefore the best thing about it. In fact, watching him hamming it up in that ridiculous outfit mentioned above is pretty much the reason to see the movie.