YMMV: La Reine Margot
- Dawson Casting: While the ages of the characters are almost never specifically stated in the film, most of the actors are noticeably older than the people they portray with the notable exception of Virna Lisi as Catherine de' Medici:
- Isabelle Adjani and Daniel Auteuil were 40 and 44 when they played a queen and king who were historically 19.
- Alenšon is specifically stated to be 17, but the actor playing him was 25.
- Charles and Guise were 22, but the actors were 39 and 38, respectively.
- Anjou was 21, and the actor playing him was 40.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Asia Argento as Charlotte de Sauve and Thomas Kretschmann as Nanšay
- Ho Yay:
"You prefer him to me; that is shameful! and I detest you, Annibal! Why not be frank, and tell me you prefer him to me?[...]""Henriette, the loveliest of duchesses! For your own peace of mind, believe me, do not ask such unwise questions. I love you more than any woman, and I love La Mole more than any man."
- La Mole and Coconnas. In spades!
- Charles and Henri, post hunting accident. Charles hugs Henri a lot and begs him not to go to Navarre. Later, Catherine complains that they're always going out hunting together alone.
- Foe Yay: Between Henri and Guise, Henri and Anjou, and Anjou and Guise. More than a bit Truth in Television, weirdly.
- Anjou and Guise wrestle shirtless.
- Henri and Guise get into a fight that ends with Henri kissing Guise on the lips.
- Jerkass Woobie: Though a bratty manchild, Charles still comes across as an deeply unhappy man so hungry for friendship that he'll latch on to anyone who shows him the slightest bit of real kindness.