- Crowning Moment of Awesome: "Oh William; bringing guns... to a tank battle"
- Many throughout the series. One of the more notable ones is when Jack refuses to let Silas sentence David for treason and reveals that it was all a setup. Although it worked out in his favor politically, Jack didn't do it for that reason, marking a significant shift in his relationship with David.
- Crowning Moment of Funny
Boyden: Oh God... you love Thomasina!
- Abbadon's lecture to Silas on how to handle his newfound unpopularity in the penultimate episode, in which he shows exactly why he's been in a stone box for 30 years. If you're a fan of Comedic Sociopathy, that is.
- Most scenes with the lowly palace guards.
Klotz: I'm so screwed. I'm so screwed.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
- Jack to Joseph: "You are the only real thing I ever touch."
- Ho Yay: Pretty much everyone who has any contact with David, though this is probably unintentional — except in the case of Jack, who is canonically gay, and also the crown prince.
- Magnificent Bastard: Silas. Emphasis on the "bastard".
- Memetic Mutation: It's popular to accompany the image of David surrounded by butterflies with the words "Never forget".
- One-Scene Wonder: Brian Cox's occasional appearances as Abbadon.
- Retroactive Recognition: Bucky Barnes is the crown prince.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: For a story based on updating the life of king David, remarkably little of the first season's plot aligns to anything from the sources. So, the show skipped over the potential of the Crown Prince struggling with his friendship with David and his loyalty to his father, the story of David winning glory in battle even after becoming a hero, or Samuel and Silas actually coming into political conflict, and the show was cancelled before it reached the part where David, in exile, becomes a benevolent mercenary for Gath. Instead, most of the show was filler until the finale.