YMMV: Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer
- Better Than Canon: Because of a very well-done example of Adaptation Expansion (see main page entry), many fans and critics seem to prefer the Angelic Layer anime over CLAMP's original manga.
- Captain Obvious: Much of the dialogue throughout the story arc. Particularly anytime something unusual happens in one of the matches, several spectators or developers will often restate what the viewer already realizes. Also every time Misaki or Hatoko mention (as they do over and over, often at inopportune times) that they really enjoy playing Angelic Layer.
- Crazy Awesome: Icchan.
- Les Yay: Kaede and Sai; a few of Tamayo's joking comments to Misaki; Misaki's crush on Ringo and Hatoko shows some towards Misaki, though she is five.
- Purity Sue: Misaki fits this to a tee.
- Values Dissonance: Shuuko fears that, if she stays with her daughter Misaki, some traits of her will bring said child the scorn of others due to having "a useless mother". In the manga, she's cripplingly and horribly shy; in the anime, she's an Ill Girl in a wheelchair, AND cripplingly and horribly shy. This comes from the very complicated view of human relationships in Japan.
- Subverted in that Shuuko is mostly accepted by her peers, even her own sister, and is the champion of Angelic Layer, so it's not like anyone hates her for her disability. Her sister even outright says that there are lots of people in wheelchairs who are good parents who have even worse diseases than she has.