* CrowningMomentOfAwesome. Aside from The Reason You Suck Speech mentioned on the main page, Patricia's declaration of love for Joe just before he jumps into the volcano.
-->'''Patricia''': I love you!
-->'''Joe Banks''': I love you, too! I've never been in love with anybody before, either! It's great! I'm glad! But the timing stinks. ''(quick peck on the cheek)'' I've gotta go.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: One of famed Georges Delarue's last scores.
* EsotericHappyEnding: Sure, [[spoiler:the island was wiped off the face of the Earth and its inhabitants likely killed in the process, but Joe and Patricia are happy, that's all that matters, right]]? [[AlternateEnding Something that was cut]] was [[spoiler:the Chief surviving with his Tobi, having saved his soul (in parallel to Joe saving it). Also, Joe and Patricia are rescued by the ''Tweedledum'', and both Graynamore and his doctor are stranded on what's left of the isle]].
* HilariousInHindsight: A Tom Hanks character being shipwrecked ten years before ''Film/CastAway''.
* InferredHolocaust: Lampshaded.
* OneSceneWonder: The luggage salesman, who just '''''loves''''' luggage. It's a ''way of life''. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuhmY3tQ1A&feature=related See for yourself]].
** The jovial Graynamore, the ComicallySerious Dr. Ellison and Marshall the kind limo driver qualify thanks to the talent of veteran actors Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack and Ossie Davis.
* RetroactiveRecognition: Nathan Lane plays the [[LargeHam scenery chewer Waponi]] that greets Joe upon arriving to the island. This was his second film appearance.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSong: The score to the film is lush, and one of Georges Delarue's best -- until you listen to the soundtrack to ''Film/SteelMagnolias'' and find it's ''extremely'' similar.
* TearJerker: Dying Joe Banks' [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1EOnVSSJYs eloquent prayer]] during a DreamSequence to God as [[WeirdMoon an impossibly large moon rises over the horizon]].
-->'''Joe''': Dear God, whose name I do not know -- thank you for my life. I forgot how ''big''... thank you. Thank you for my life.
** It's still touching even when you know [[spoiler: Joe's not dying]].
** Ray Charles' version of "Old Man River" playing when Joe finds out he's dying.
* VindicatedByHistory: A bomb when it came out, but [[http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-year-of-flops-case-file-40-joe-versus-the-volca,14872/ better regarded]] in later years.