- Award Snub: Easily one of the most influential writers of the 20th century, yet he did not receive a Nobel Prize in Literature. Though the Nobel Prize did not put a great weight on literary merit in its early years, it neglected Henrik Ibsen and Leo Tolstoy as well in the 1910s (when they were still alive).
- Memetic Molester: As it turns out, Joyce was quite the pervert. As he once wrote in a letter:
It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know [my wife]'s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope [my wife] will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.
- Well, she was his wife, so heís not much of a molester... Ah well, so long as itís Safe, Sane and Consensual.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: Or difficult as hell for the unprepared.
- Nothing can prepare you for Finnegans Wake. Nothing.
- Values Dissonance: Shown in harsh light in Ulysses, between Homer's Greece and 20th-century Dublin.