- Acceptable Targets: Women, the Church, the Flemish, the Bourgeoisie.
- Covered Up: His songs have been covered by numerous artists
- Grow the Beard : His earliest recordings are a bit naive and gentle Morality Ballad. Famous French chansonnier Georges Brassens even compared him with a preaching priest. Later his records matured enormously and became more cynical, introspective and even risqué. (Darker and Edgier in short)
- Love It or Hate It: Certain Flemish nationalists are not a fan of his work, due to Brel's often biting comments about them.
- Narm: While his Large Ham tendences were often awesome, sometimes they veered into this.
- Tear Jerker: Brel was known for his passionate and intense delivery, most memorable in "Ne Me Quitte Pas".