YMMV: I Am Sam
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: While many moments blend with Tearjerker, several parts are unconditionally sweet. A standout scene is where Sam figures out that Lucy has been hiding her reading ability from him. Lucy tells Sam she doesn't want to read if he can't read, but he says that he loves seeing her read and grow and that it makes him happy.
- Deader Than Disco / Watch It for the Meme: Nowadays the only time someone ever brings up the film is due to the Tropic Thunder reference
- Glurge: Many viewers felt that the movie was not only blatant Oscar Bait, but way too emotionally manipulative and anvilicious to truly work.
- Strawman Has a Point: Roger Ebert (and many viewers) felt that however well intentioned Sam was, he was simply incapable of raising a child, and that Lucy should have gone to a foster family.
- Except she did go to a foster family, and eventually Sam helps to raise her with them.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not For Kids?: I am Sam. Sam I am. Make absolutely sure you don't get confused by that.