- The Woobie: Sam.
- Most of the Garde can qualify as this.
- You pretty much expect it to be aliens or magic, but when they actually explain it, it's kind of sudden.
- This is played for effect with the Mogadorians whose mouths are obviously not well suited for human speech, resulting in a mumble which sounds like baby talk.
- Pretty much anything uttered by the Mogadorian Commander.
- Nightmare Fuel: "And it wants to play with you too!"
- The appearance of the Mogs, especially the slits next to their noses which they apparently use to breathe.
- Strangled by the Red String: It's explained that the alien race works like this, with your first love being for life. Number Four falls in love with Sarah within two days and apparently permanently.There's a long scene of overly-flowery declarations of love delivered in a manner that would make Padme and Anakin cringe.
- And then he hands her over to Mark the Jerk Ass at the end before riding off with Sam and Number 6.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: ILM were behind the special effects. Of course they're going to look spectacular.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: The movie could have been better if it were just Number 4 and Henri on the run from the Mogadorians