YMMV: Hyperdimension Neptunia
- Awesome Music:
- Critical Dissonance: This game caters heavily towards otaku who love other Nippon Ichi games. Almost everyone outside of that group (including reviewers) hated it. There's a whopping 40 point difference between its professional and user reviews on Metacritic. No reviewer gave it a positive review. No user gave it a negative review.
- Ear Worm: The infamous Gamindustri's Comic Relief, aka DANANANANA NANANANANA. It's catchy as all hell, and plays whenever something silly happens (which is almost all the time). Most players can't get it to leave their heads.
- Evil Is Sexy: Have you ever seen Arfoire's outfit?
- First Installment Weirdness: This game is the one most people usually hate in the series, due to the various problems it had.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: This game was released in Japan back in August and it was advertising that the premise of the game was that Neptune and the gang were fighting against piracy. A few months later, someone successfully hacked the PlayStation 3, but Sony fought off against it and sued the company for making the one thing that can hack the machine.
- With the April 2011 hacking of the Play Station Network, you can be sure this game inspired the hackers.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Neptune is stated several times to be "chubby" but looks no bigger than the rest of the girls.
- Les Yay: With an all-female main cast, it was inevitable. One of the best examples is when Neptune snuggles Compa from behind with the intent to use her like a body pillow. IF provides the requisite lampshading.
IF: What the hell is this perverted crap?
- So Okay, It's Average: While the game features a ton of video game references, fanservice, and has a pretty cool opening theme, the gameplay isn't so lucky. Compared to other recent JRPGs, the dungeon design is extremely linear and uninspired. The combat system isn't too original, like that of the first four Xeno games, and the rest of the music is pretty okay. There's not too much unique gameplay-wise, and if one read the manga they could get virtually the same effect.
- Scrappy Mechanic: What do you mean I can't heal outside of battles!? What do you mean I have to set some percentages just so my healing items can heal me DURING a battle!? Why are the potions too damn expensive!?
- What do you mean I don't get Black Heart, White Heart and Thunder Tits until right before the last dungeon!? What do you mean I can't get them at ALL if I let Neptune die too many times or I leave optional dungeons too many times?! What do you mean Gust and Nisa are DLC!?
- That One Boss: The Killachine and CPU Breaker spell trouble even for HDD Neptune, and the fact that you have to fight one after the other makes it worse.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: The game hints a few times that Black Heart is lonely and has no friends. They never really do anything with this, which is a shame as it could've made for some nice character development.
- This is, however, a focus of her character in later installments.