- Awesome Music: Humperdinck's opera.
- Nightmare Fuel:
Hansel: WHO'S THEREEEEE??
- In the stop-motion Hansel and Gretel: An Opera Fantasy, the siblings hear an ominous chorus ("Children, children, are you not afraid?"), then they see something moving through the trees, then they see glimmering eyes on a tree (really a birch tree), a willow stump grinning at them, a Will-o'-the-Wisp (Gretel hoped it was a real lantern and real people who can help them), and then Gretel sees ghosts ("shadowy women") coming towards them.
- In the Cannon Movie Tales version, as Hansel and Gretel got lost deep into the woods, they hear mock laughters and then an eerie shriek. They hear their names whisper in the dark and a witch's cackle as they sit near a camp fire.
- In the Humperdinck's opera, when the kids were calling out, voices answer back.
Echo: You there! There!
Gretel: Is someone there?
Echo: Where? Here!
- What is the only meaningful difference between this story and the plot of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)? In that movie, the kids' own parents didn't leave them in the wild to die.