- Genius Bonus: When Nick is recounting Amy's obsession with finishing everything, he remembers her reading Haruki Murakami's "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle", which is about an estranged couple, along with the wife suddenly going missing.
- Magnificent Bitch: Amy, full stop.
- Jerkass Woobie: Amy, in a way. She does terrible things to people who were repentant about their mistakes, but it's implied that being brought up to be 'Amazing Amy' left some considerable emotional damage on her, "I remember always being baffled by other children. I would be at a birthday party and watch the other kids giggling and making faces, and I would try to do that too, but I wouldn't understand why." Her parents expected her to be perfect, and each day was an opportunity to fail.
- Shocking Swerve: After growing attached to Diary Amy, it can be a shock for the reader to discover that not only was Nick being played by Amy, so was the reader.
- The Woobie: Go is probably the biggest contender- she has to helplessly watch as her twin brother is accused of murdering his own wife, discovering that he has lied to her and has the press constantly asking if she was involved in Amy's disappearance.