As with all shows, ''Gomer Pyle'' has a few of these.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Lou Ann Poovie. Her debut episode "Love's Old Sweet Song" ends with her [[PutOnABus going back home]] to get married to her old boyfriend. Eight episodes later has her [[TheBusCameBack coming back]] due to it not working out with said boyfriend. The way Lou Ann was portrayed in the episode suggested she was just a one-shot character, but her return must have been due to the fans of the show liking her.
* FairForItsDay: The show portrayed Asian and African-American people quite well for a show in the 60's and featured them quite often in the show. An especially interesting example was in the episode "You Bet Your Wonton" when Gomer asked an Asian man [[InnocentBigot where a good Chinese restaurant is]], and he tells Gomer that he's not a fan of Chinese food and offers to direct Gomer to a good delicatessen.
* HarsherInHindsight: The opening credits featured real members of the Marine Corps, many of whom would later lose their lives during the Vietnam War.
* HilariousInHindsight: See the HoYay examples below after it's been revealed that Jim Nabors was gay in real life.
* HoYay: It's one-sided, but Gomer's devotion to Sgt. Carter can get pretty extreme at times.
** The biggest example is in Season 1 with the episode "Love Letters To The Sarge" where Gomer decides to ghostwrite some very steamy love letters to Sgt. Carter because he never got any from girls. Gomer later stops writing them because he realized he could end up hurting Sgt. Carter if he kept up the ruse. At the end of the episode, Gomer tries to write a real love letter to a girl back in Mayberry, but it ends up sounding like a lukewarm 'how have ya been?' thing.
** There are other examples from episodes include commenting how nice Sgt. Carter smells, giving him flowers for his desk, giving Sgt. Carter gifts, and taking risks beyond normal friendship to make Sgt. Carter happy in one way or another.
** Howard Morris directed two episodes. Morris is best known for voicing Gopher in ''Disney/TheManyAdventuresOfWinnieThePooh'', Hamburglar and Mayor [=McCheese=] for UsefulNotes/McDonalds, Carl Sweetchuck and The Professor in ''WesternAnimation/PoliceAcademyTheAnimatedSeries'', and Wade Duck in ''WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends'' (not to mention playing Ernest T. Bass in [[Series/TheAndyGriffithShow the show ''Gomer Pyle'' spun off from]]).
** Sam Bobrick wrote 15 episodes. Bobrick is best known for creating ''Series/SavedByTheBell''.
** Dale [=McRaven=] wrote five episodes. [=McRaven=] is best known as co-creator, producer, and supervising producer of ''Series/MorkAndMindy'' and as creator, executive producer, and executive consultant of ''Series/PerfectStrangers''.
** Creator/GarryMarshall wrote two episodes.