YMMV: Getting Back on Your Hooves
Return to the original page here.
- Complete Monster: Checker Monarch has NO redeeming qualities whatsoever, and there's the fact that her entire motivation for ruining Trixie's life is pure pettiness and jealousy.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: "Through New Eyes"
- Fridge Horror: As pointed in the KPNYRadio episode about the fic, Checker uses a bees nest to attack Trixie at Cheerilee's school, meaning she knowingly allowed a class full of foals to be stung by a swarm of bees, not caring if any were allergic or not.
- Checker Monarch herself is a massive source of Fridge Horror. To the uninformed, she may seem like a stereotypical Cartoonish Super Villain, committing acts of cruelty simply For the Evulz. But then you do a little research and realise that since she's based on real-life sociopaths, there are really people like her out there.
- Genius Bonus: The Ropen is an actual cryptid from New Guinea, but so obscure many readers will likely never have heard of it. The author included it mainly to invoke this trope for fans of Cryptozoology who'd recognize it.
- Harsher in Hindsight: In the "Through New Eyes" chapter, Rainbow Dash experienced a nightmare where she messed up a flight test, crashed, and was mercilessly bullied by her classmates Circle of Shame style. Then an episode of the show aired showing a disturbingly similar scene happening to Fluttershy in a flashback. Even the author was freaked out by the similarity!
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In the same chapter, while Rainbow Dash is dismissing the idea of Trixie being nice, she makes a comment about Discord becoming a good guy.
- So basically the plot of Getting Back on Your Hooves is about a former Smug Snake antagonist being humbled after her previous defeat and having to restore her faith in herself and prove to everyone that she's not the villain she used to be as the Mane Six help her learn valuable lessons about friendship. Meanwhile, a subtly creepy unicron villainess uses her sinister mind-control magic and manipulative talents to turn the populace against her and manipulate the growing tensions to her own designs. DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE ELSE??
- Love to Hate: Checker Monarch is basically the My Little Pony equivalent to Frollo, Umbridge, or Azula: A villain so loathsomely evil and so subtly terrifying that it's honestly amazing. Bonus points for the writer STILL managing to maintain Original Flavour despite her inclusion.
- Magnificent Bitch: Checker Monarch hovers somewhere between this and Smug Snake. Despite her narcissism, she is still a Dangerously Genre Savvy and effective Chessmaster and despite being a normal unicorn, she is arguably a bigger threat to the cast than even Discord was.
- Moral Event Horizon: For many, Checker crosses it when she Mind Rapes Rainbow Dash.
- Nightmare Fuel: The character of Checker Monarch is downright terrifying. She's a powerful, cold, calculating and heartless sociopath who enjoys Mind Raping ponies in their dreams, and is utterly merciless in her attempts to ruin Trixie's life (made even worse by the fact that Trixie is her sister). Just about everyone Checker runs into is terrified of her, including her own henchmen. Especially horrifying is when she completely snaps at the end of chapter 9 and she plots revenge against Ponyville and Canterlot, as the red in the heart of her Cutie Mark runs off in the rain - revealing the heart to be black. What makes Checker so terrifying is that her behavior is based off of real-life sociopaths, so unlike characters like Discord and Chrysalis, there are really people like her out there.
- The Ropen in the Everfree Forest. Most works depict the Ropen as a glowing pterodactyl. Not this one. In this one it's a gigantic, blind bat that glows a bright white light to lure prey in like an anglerfish. Worse still, since it can't see, Fluttershy can't use the stare on it.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Some readers have admitted this story did this for Trixie in their eyes.
- Selfish Evil: Checker Monarch, referred to as such by Word of God. Her worldview essentially boils down to "the strong rule the weak, I can play everyone around me like pawns. Therefore; I am the strongest and It's All About Me."
- Shipping: None in the fic itself, but quite a few fans ship Trixie and Helping/Stage Hoof. Including this piece of Recursive Fanfiction.
- Tear Jerker: Paraderpy's cover art for chapter 9. Also counts as Nightmare Fuel.
- The Woobie: Trixie's life from the end of the Ursa Minor incident onwards suuuuuucks.