YMMV: Genji Monogatari 1987
- Fetish Retardant: Prince Genji, half-naked. (OMG, what happened to his nipples?)
- Hell Is That Noise: Genji's flute is really creepy.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Formerly available on subtitled VHS, now long out of print. You can still find copies occasionally, but they're liable to cost you a small fortune.
- Nightmare Fuel: The sakura-blossoms and Lady Aoi's nightmare.
- True Art Is Angsty: Tastefully done, but you know, True Art Is Incomprehensible.
- Values Dissonance: Due to the minimalism of this version, the Prince's behavior is hard to understand, but even so he can be easily judged as selfish, cold, and degenerate, but at his time, he was nothing but a normal noble. Even so, some of his enemies tries to use his behavior against him.