YMMV: Geek Charming
- Canon Sue: Amy in the original book, who is constantly described as perfect by Josh and he turns out to be entirely right about that (that the book's dedication is to a real-life Amy who the author is apparently close to explains a lot.)
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: In the movie, Dylan and Josh are portrayed by Sarah Hyland and Matt Prokop, who were also a couple in real life. Hyland has confessed that Prokop has abused her over the last four years of their relationship, and had also sent her threats and suicidal messages after they broke up in 2014. It's a little difficult to see the film as "charming" moreso than cringe-worthy now.
- Jerkass Woobie: Dylan, particularly when the subject of her mother comes up in the movie.
- Unnecessary Makeover: Dylan gives one to Josh.
- What an Idiot: At the climax of the film when Josh shows his documentary at a screening, Dylan walks out on it because she assumes it's showing everyone "the real her" that she's embarassed by and making her look bad. What makes her an idiot in this situation is that what was being shown at the time was ''the fake her'' and not the real her, and what makes Josh an idiot is responding by stammering unconvincing arguments instead of just outright telling her "it's not the real you they're laughing at! Keep watching, It Gets Better!"