* HeReallyCanAct: Smithy's increasing emotional depth in the second series elicited this reaction to James Corden from many reviewers.
* MemeticMutation: "Oh! Doris! Where's the salad?!"
* MoralEventHorizon: Stacey trying to get pregnant without Gavin knowing. She stops taking her birth control for over a ''year'', and doesn't think to ask him whether he's ready to be a father.
* RetroactiveRecognition: James Corden guest-starred in ''Series/DoctorWho'' twice and now hosts Series/TheLateLateShow.
** Mathew Horne in ''Series/TheCatherineTateShow''.
** [[Series/BeingHumanUK Russell Tovey]] as Gavin's friend Budgie.
** Samuel Anderson, Gavin's friend Fingers, later played Danny Pink in Series/DoctorWho
* TearJerker: The letter from Stacey's dad in series 1, episode 6.
** Stacey's endless longing for home in series two. Being homesick is one thing, but she's actively rude and spiteful to Gavin and his family, and throws a tantrum simply because she isn't getting her own way.
*** Stacey's prone to this, her wangsting over not being able to have a baby ''right there and then''.
*** Although they have been trying regularly for well over a year with no results ''at all'', which has to get kind of worrying.
** Pam tapdances in this trope frequently with some of the issues she throws up, be it her complaining at Mick and Gavin following ''her'' misunderstanding of a no-carb diet, to [[TookALevelInJerkass an utterly jerkish]] moment in the Christmas Special where she begins screaming at Stacey and her family because ''Gavin'' has opted to take a job that will allow him to be closer to Stacey.