YMMV: Garden State
- Awesome Music: It won a Grammy. The soundtrack was the breakthrough for the then otherwise obscure indie band The Shins.
- Deader Than Disco: While quite popular at the time, it's now become the poster child for insufferably quirky indie films that try to grab your attention with weird situations far more than a compelling story. In fact, feelings towards the movie are shame from those who liked it, or mockery from those who didn't.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: As this Cracked article points out, "Medicine prescribed by a psychiatrist does more harm than good" isn't exactly the safest message to apply to your life.
- Although (and the Cracked article does mention this) Andrew's case was rather different than that, given that he was prescribed the medication by an individual with malicious ulterior motives.
- Fridge Brilliance: Sam's house is a bit of a mess, but you still wonder why there are spots all over the TV, until you realize that Tetembe was dusting for fingerprints moments earlier.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: How many people nowadays will admit they loved this movie when it first came out? Not many. But they did.