- Awesome Music: It won a Grammy. The soundtrack was the breakthrough for the then otherwise obscure indie band The Shins.
- Family Unfriendly Aesop: As this Cracked article points out, "Medicine prescribed by a psychiatrist does more harm than good" isn't exactly the safest message to apply to your life.
- Although (and the Cracked article does mention this) Andrew's case was rather different than that, given that he was prescribed the medication by an individual with malicious ulterior motives.
- Fridge Brilliance: Sam's house is a bit of a mess, but you still wonder why there are spots all over the TV, until you realize that Tetembe was dusting for fingerprints moments earlier.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: How many people nowadays will admit they loved this movie when it first came out? Not many. But they did.