YMMV: Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The story is well-told and the characters believeable, though as death is a presence over the entire series (and according to Yuu Watase, Life And Death is the theme of the manga), there are some scenes that can come across as being slapped together for drama but ultimately don't leave as much of an impact as they could. Case in point, Hagus' death feels like a cop-out to age up Tegu
- Game Breaker: Urumiya.
- Iron Woobie: Lord Temudan
- Only the Author Can Save Them Now: The Urumiya arc.
- Strangled by the Red String: Firuka and Hagas.
- What Measure Is a Non-Badass?: Takiko is often used to bash her sort-of predecessor, Miaka. Without taking in account how both girls' lives are extremely different (Takiko is from Imperial Japan, Miaka from the Japan of The Nineties), or how without Miaka as The Protagonist of the original... there would be no Takiko to start with.