YMMV: Friedrich Nietzsche
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Is Nietzsche one of the greatest geniuses in the History of Western philosophy, or is he just a megalomaniacal Social Darwinist lunatic? Is his philosophy a great code to live by, or is it a (as Russell would say it) mere Power Fantasy?
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: The quote given on the main page can be read in infinite ways, and how it is read is a matter of personal choice.
- Fair for Its Day: Despite Those Wacky Nazis trying to claim him and his misogyny, he was strongly opposed to the growing antisemitism of Germany at the time and German nationalism.
- Misaimed Fandom/Mis-blamed:
- The Nazis' adulation of him and the corresponding misconception (now highly discredited) that he would have supported them. His works reflect the opposite of anti-semitism, statism, and Germanic nationalism amongst other things, but they seemed to agree on matters like War Is Glorious (sort of- see below), men are not equal, possibly eugenics, anti-democracy/anti-communism etc, and that a strong, perhaps even brutal, leadership is desirable, albeit for slightly different reasons. Some of the blame for this can be laid at the feet of his sister, a supporter of the Nazi party who edited some of his works to present a pro-Nazi slant.
- The former name for Straw Nihilist was "Nietzsche Wannabe," which sums up his Misaimed Fandom as well.
- Values Dissonance: Nietzsche's misogyny is quite apparent in his work. He didn't like democracy very much, either.