YMMV: Franz Kafka
- Heartwarming Moments - Shows up once or twice in The Metamorphosis... if only to set up for the Tear Jerker Downer Ending. Unlike most cases, knowing the ending ahead of time makes the Heartwarming that much more fuzzy... and once you've read the entire book, the Downer Ending becomes that much more tragic.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory - There are (at least) a thousand and one possible interpretations of his work.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop - If there are any.
- Nightmare Fuel - "In the Penal Colony" stands out in this regard, featuring a device designed to induce Cruel and Unusual Death over the course of several hours.
- Misaimed Fandom - Kafka's friends found his most dark and depressing books hilarious. They had a point, though - some pages of The Trial were deliberately made this way.
- Paranoia Fuel
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped
- True Art Is Angsty - And how!