YMMV: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In light of Roger Ebert vs. video gamers, Ebert gave the film one of its best reviews, calling it revolutionary in terms of its visuals and giving it a 3.5-star review. In fact, Ebert has given more positive reviews to video game adaptations than any other major critic, with additional positive reviews for Hitman, the Tomb Raider films, and Mortal Kombat.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: By today's standards, the animation (especially facial) is nothing to write home about, but considering the film came out 3 years before the first movie in performance capture (The Polar Express)... well, at the time it was pretty damn impressive. It certainly scared the hell out of the Screen Actors' Guild when it released, who sent a few representatives out to talk to media outlets about how they didn't support the burgeoning rise of "virtual actors."
- Uncanny Valley: A worthy first effort, but...
- Visual Effects of Awesome: While not quite as good as the hype was promising, lots of effort was put into the effects for the film, and some parts are quite impressive.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Practically the Trope Codifier. The Phantoms are stuck in a dream-like state, lashing out at everything around them, unsure of what is reality. The larger beasts are just gigantic wildlife that have no idea what's going on as well.