YMMV: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Broken Base: The upcoming film adaptation. While some are excited, others are accusing it of being a cash-grab. It's not helped that it's being made into a trilogy, despite being far shorter than any one Harry Potter book. (Gee, sounds familiar...)
- One point of excitement is that we're finally being given an opportunity to see the rest of the world, not bound to the Trio and Voldemort's story.
- Genius Bonus:
- The Loch Ness Monster is really just a Kelpie that shapeshifts into a sea serpent when it wants to. Before the legend of Nessie became popular, a kelpie was what people originally believed lived in Loch Ness.
- Not to mention the only record of a Chimera being killed "led to the unlucky wizard in question falling from his winged horse".note
- Nightmare Fuel: The Nundu, which resembles a Leopard — said to be utterly silent, gigantic, and able to wipe out entire villages just by breathing due to the diseases on its breath; it's so dangerous that the only successful kills have come from one hundred wizards working in concert. For comparison, that's ten times as many wizards as it takes to subdue the average dragon.
- The Lethifold, mentioned above, would also count, due to the fact that they sneak up on unsuspecting victims and smother them in their sleep. And digests them on the spot and leaves no evidence of their demise. They also have a deceptive cunning to boot, that coupled with the fact that they can blend in with a fairly large range of things, means that they could be anywhere.
- The Manticore, a Shout-Out to classical Greek Mythology. It has a man's head, a lion's body, and a scorpion's tail, and its sting causes instant death. If that wasn't enough, its skin is nigh-invulnerable to magic. Not to mention it can speak intelligently and croons while it eats its prey. And Hagrid possibly crossbred one.note
- Then there's the Quintapeds. According to legend they were once a family of wizards before they were transformed into monsters by a rival wizard family, who were in turn eaten by the beasts they created. Whether or not the legend is true, these five-legged carnivorous beasts rate five Xs, and are so dangerous the island they live on has been marked completely hazardous and enchanted so it can't be placed on maps. God help us all if those things are capable of breeding.