* DoNotDoThisCoolThing: "...if I have painted vice in all its gayest colours, if I have deck'd it with flowers, it has been soley to make the worthier, the solemner sacrifice of it, to virtue." [[SarcasmMode Sure you did, sweetie]].
* FamilyUnfriendlyAesop: A girl "does what she must" to survive. In [[HookerWithAHeartOfGold 18th century London]].
* FirstInstallmentWins: ''Fanny Hill'' has long eclipsed Cleland's obscure and far tamer sequel, ''Memoirs of a Coxcomb'', which follows roughly the same plot as its predecessor, except with a man as the protagonist.
%% [[HoYay Les Yay]]: [[LipstickLesbian Phoebe.]] Just...[[GirlOnGirlIsHot Phoebe]].
* OvershadowedByControversy: Known more for being a subject of obscenity tests than for the content itself.
* PunBasedTitle: At first glance Fanny Hill is a perfectly reasonable name, being a diminutive of Frances, when in fact in the 18th century "Fanny" was slang for a woman's privates.
* TheWoobie: Fanny, at least in the beginning.