- Anvilicious: A lot of their lyrics. Requiem for the Indifferent has a track called "Deep Water Horizon", any guesses what it's about?
- Awesome Music: The Obsessive Devotion, Fools Of Damnation, Martyr Of The Free Word.
- The Classical Conspiracy. All 144 minutes of it.
- Pretty much any of their title tracks and/or grand finales, at least within the confines of their respective albums. Comparing The Phantom Agony's title track to, say, "Kingdom of Heaven" or "Serenade of Self-Destruction" might be a little unfair given that TPA was them just getting started, but when you hit the last song of an Epica album, you know you're in for a big finish and a hell of a sendoff.
- Cover Version: Alexis Jordan's "Happiness", which itself sampled Deadmau5's "Brazil".
- Epic Riff: "The Obsessive Devotion", "Guilty Demeanor", "Internal Warfare", "Fools of Damnation", "Monopoly On Truth" and many more.
- Face of the Band: Simone and, to a lesser extent, Mark
- Fan Community Nickname: Simone addresses her online audience as either "Sweets" or "Blog Babes".
- Gateway Series: For some into rock bands, for others into symphonic metals and for even more into heavy metal.
- Growing the Beard /More Popular Spin-off: The band stopped drawing comparisons with Mark's previous band After Forever by the time Design Your Universe came out.
- Hate Dumb: From a number of Evanescence fans who resent Simone for wearing make-up. This despite the fact that their supposed Unkempt Beauty Amy Lee is the poster-girl for the sort of panda-eyed look a lot of emos and "goffs" go for.
- Heart Warming Moment: "Our Destiny" is a beautiful song about Simone and Mark not quitting the band because they weren't meant to be.
- Twin Flames also falls into this!
- Les Yay: This live video for "Sancta Terra" where Floor Jansen performs with Simone on stage (link).
- Magnum Opus: Design Your Universe.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: If the lyrics are Anvillicious, they're pretty much guaranteed to be this as well.
- Tear Jerker:
- The Phantom Agony: "Feint"
- Consign to Oblivion: More classical than their other albums, some of the sadder songs include "Solitary Ground" and "Trois Verges".
- The Divine Conspiracy: "Indigo", "Never Enough", "Sancta Terra", the beginning of "Chasing the Dragon", "Safeguard to Paradise"
- Design Your Universe: "Tides of Time", "Our Destiny",
- Requiem for the Indifferent: "Deep Water Horizon", "Anima", "Delirium", "Serenade of Self-Destruction".
- Uncanny Valley: The artwork for Requiem for The Indifferent embraces this trope...
- Younger than They Look: Simone in the first two albums - she was still eighteen when The Phantom Agony was released and had just turned twenty by the time Consign to Oblivion was released. Nowadays she's in the process of inverting this trope.