- Difficult, but Awesome: The Cravers. They have to constantly expand, because after a certain number of turns, they will "consume" the planets they've already settled, severely dropping all FIDS output for the rest of the game. But, if you're able to keep them expanding, then they massively boost the FIDS output of each new planet they settle until they finish consuming it. If you can deal with their endless war trait, and keep up with their expansionistic needs, they remain extremely powerful for the entirety of the game. On the flip side, if you are not able to expand fast enough, they quickly get crippled and usually suffer from Can't Catch Up.
- Insufferable Genius: The Sophons as a whole can come across as this (the diplomat in particular) to some players, as everything they say is full of sarcasm, Cultural Posturing, or both.
- Scrappy Mechanic: one of the random events introduced in "Virtual Awakening," the game's fourth major content patch, discards all Heroes in your waiting room and replaces them with new ones. With very few exceptions, if you have heroes in your waiting room, it's because you were planning to recruit them later, so this event almost always constitutes a setback.
- That One Achievement: "Endless Pwnage - Create a Custom Faction with -195 points or less and win a game with it." Custom Factions use an advantages/disadvantages Point Build System similar to the Storyteller Game System published by White Wolf, where positive traits subtract points from your 65-point total and negative traits add them back in. If you load your custom faction down with the highest possible number of disadvantages, you end up with -234 points, so your breathing room is about 40 points.
- What An Idiot: Cravers can research xeno-tourism. Yes, aliens will visit the worlds of a race of Extreme Omnivores whose stated goals are to eat everyone else in the galaxy.
YMMV / Endless Space
This page lists YMMV items for the 4X Video Game Endless Space.