YMMV: Empire of the Sun
1987 Steven Spielberg film.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: meets "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner when Jim takes Basie back to his abandoned house to see if there's anything worth taking from it. Unfortunately, the house is no longer abandoned, but now quarters Japanese officers who proceed to beat the living shit out of Basie. He casually tosses Jim his aviator shades before the beatdown, with the line, "I want these back when they're done, kid!"
- Crowning Moment of Funny - Basie deadpans "I bet my Life", referring to his magazine.
- Crowning Moment Of Heart Warming meets Crowning Music of Awesome - Suo Gan
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The choir scene at the start of the movie.
- Jerkass Woobie - Jamie starts as a rather spoiled kid who puts one of his servants through much stress, but quickly loses the jerkass part after he gets separated from his parents and becomes a full-fledged woobie.
- Retroactive Recognition: Ben Stiller as one of the American prisoners of war.
- The Scrappy —> Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Jim is an extremely annoying Spoiled Brat for the first half of the film, but he grows out of it throughout the rest of the film. And that's the point.