1987 Steven Spielberg film.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Basie - Jerk With A Heartof Gold who did what he had to do to survive, what anyone else might have done to survive, or just a complete Jerkass?
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Basie deadpans "I bet my Life", referring to his magazine.
- Crowning Moment Of Heart Warming meets Crowning Music of Awesome - Suo Gan
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The choir scene at the start of the movie.
- Jerkass Woobie - Jamie starts as a rather spoiled kid who puts one of his servants through much stress, but quickly loses the jerkass part after he gets separated from his parents and becomes a full-fledged woobie. The servant he stressed out actually slaps him when he tries to boss her and another servant around when he sees them stealing some furniture after the Japanese take over so as to make it very clear to him that he no longer has any control over her.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- The Scrappy —> Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Jim is an extremely annoying Spoiled Brat for the first half of the film, but he grows out of it throughout the rest of the film. And that's the point.