- Cult Classic: A legendary game that's popular even after 30 years.
- Dueling Games: Despite the creators of both saying to support the other game, Elite: Dangerous seems to have one with Star Citizen. This is mitigated by the fact that Chris Roberts himself is a fan of the "opposition."
- Ensemble Darkhorse: The Adder ship. Its a tin box with thrusters(just look at it◊). There's a Running Gag in universe that compares it to "that second-to-fourth-hand car you drove around in college". Its also available cheap and early, has a large cargo bay for its cost and can be geared up with shields and a laser one size above its class, leaving room for smuggled goods. Opens up a lot of profit venues and pays for itself in a game week.
- Internet Backdraft: Caused by the announcement that Elite Dangerous will be online-only only a month before release despite the Kickstarter promising singleplayer and multiplayer.
- That One Level: In Dangerous, binary star systems with wide orbits like the starting system LHS 3447, or Alpha Centauri. You can only warp to the primary star, while the second star - often with its own system and stations - must be navigated to via standard supercruise, which is agonizingly slow even at max throttle.