- Alternate Character Interpretation: Stephanie. Is she a sociopath, or is she under the influences of Mad Duke's Disease from the balm she stole?
- Evil Is Sexy: Ormond.
- Growing the Beard: Under Town was where the series truly started to shine, with continuity starting to come into play and the first mysteries being introduced. And that's not even going into the reveal of the Mason's character, or the bittersweet ending.
- Moral Event Horizon: Stephanie definitely crosses this line in Frost Bites, when she arranges for Edgar and Ellen's deaths. She would have crossed it sooner when she buried them underground in Nod's Limbs, except that she was counting on the balm spring keeping them alive, albeit trapped for who knows how long.
Edgar: Stephanie, don't do this! You don't want our blood on your hands!Stephanie: Of course I don't. That's why I'm wearing gloves.
- Designated Villain: Stephanie. While in the books, she actually is evil and the twins grow as people, in the show she just seems to be a villain because she's the Alpha Bitch who hates the twins even when the twins are seldom better themselves. Basically, it's hard to single out a villain in a show where everyone are jerks. To be fair, the show recognizes this and does allow Stephanie her own victories on multiple occasions.
- Foe Yay: Stephanie and Edgar & Ellen. There's even an episode showing how their life is incomplete without each other and their rivalry.
- Edgar and Stephanie in particular has a following due to "Commander in Stripes" and "Crushed".