- Alternate Character Interpretation: Lots of them : Nod'Onn, The Eoil, ...
- Ass Pull: Heitz is prone to this. A lot. for instance, in the third book Tungdil and Lot-Ionan are both killed and almost instantly resurrected as if death is just a minor inconvenience. The Author is a cheating bastard indeed.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Also the alfs, in the book dedicated to them (Die Albae - available only in German, Dutch and Italian so far).
- Cliché Storm
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: In the later books.
- Inferred Holocaust: the genocide of orcs and Alfar is only hinted at: one half-Alfar magic-user is seen to die screaming horribly, wreathed in fire. Expeditions to the orc and alfar kingdoms find only bones and ash, all that remains.
- Nightmare Fuel: The alfs, in all the books. They paint with blood, for goodness' sake!