The musical provides examples of:
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Both the songs Never The Luck and Off To The Races come out of nowhere and add nothing to the plot, and neither does "Wages of Sin." It was just a popular song for Angela Prysock.
- Crack Pairing: The 2013 Broadway revival album includes the "Perfect Strangers" reprise, whose participants are selected by the audience each night. Setting aside the fact that the evening's murderer is ineligible as they've already been clapped off in irons, there are 21 possible combinations (three women and seven men). How did those in charge of recording the album decide to work in this song? By dividing the lines up among three of the crackiest pairings possible: Deputy & Puffer, Neville & Helena, and Durdles & Rosa. They knew their audience.
- Crowning Music of Awesome ("The Name of Love"/"Moonfall" (Reprise))
- Deconstruction of The Soprano if Rosa is elected murderer.
- Draco in Leather Pants (Jasper—true life)