- Freud Was Right: There's some phallic undertones with the "shit-weasels"—at one point, when they stiffen, it's likened to a "dick getting hard". If that wasn't enough there's some Vagina Dentata going on in the film adaptation.
- Ho Yay: Pretty much all of the interactions between the four main characters (in the scene right before they save Josie Rinkenhauer, Pete kisses Jonesy on the lips, and plenty more).
- Squick: Probably one of King's squickiest.
- Tear Jerker: Duddit's death.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: King wrote the book as a tool for his recuperation after being hit by a car in 1999. He was doped up on painkillers throughout the entire process. Take that as you will.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Among other things, making Duddits an alien in the film didn't go over too well with the fans.
- Especially considering how great the original ending is.