YMMVs for the play:
- Award Snub: The film adaptation did not receive a nomination for the Best Picture Oscar. The resulting outcry became one of the factors of the Academy's decision to nominate 10 movies for future ceremonies.
- There was additional outcry about Viola Davis losing to Penelope Cruz for Best Supporting Actress. When Davis was nominated again at the 2012 Awards, she was the expected favorite to win, but instead lost this time to her co-star in this film, Meryl Streep.
- One-Scene Wonder: Mrs. Muller. In one scene she almost completely flips the situation (and therefore, the play) on its head. It earned Adriane Lenox a Tony and Viola Davis an Oscar nomination. In the film version, Viola Davis overshadowed Meryl Streep. The Meryl Streep.
YMMVs for the manga:
- Ass Pull: The final chapter is full of them, particularly in the revelation on who the mastermind is and how everything was achieved. Rei managed to convince everyone that she's dead and has been using hypnotism, her specialty, to manipulate Mitsuki to do killing and will continue to do so.
- Canon Sue: Mitsuki and Hajime have been accused of being this.
- Moe: Rei
- What an Idiot: Thank God Yuu's the main character, otherwise he would have been dead from chapter 2.