YMMV: Doki Doki Panic
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Mama was simply an Action Mom before DDP got ported to the U.S. and her sprite was replaced with Luigi's. Surprisingly, a few years later, the animated version of Super Mario World launched an episode called "Mama Luigi", which would later become an internet meme thanks to various YouTube Poop videos.
- Imajin was originally The Mario of this game. Guess who replaced him.
- Nightmare Fuel: The 1-Ups in this game were the head of your chosen character. SMB2 changed this to the iconic 1-Up Mushroomnote . Also, what would become SMB2's Hawkmouth was a slightly scary tiki-like mask. World 7's vegetables were mean-looking, and the Mushroom Blocks were menacing masks.
- Inverted with Phanto, who looked like a generic opera mask in this game. Strangely enough, Super Mario Advance's instruction manualnote would use the original DDP design.
- No Problem with Licensed Games: Thanks to Nintendo.
- Values Dissonance: