* FridgeBrilliance: Although nobody ever actually follows up when they say "I'll explain later", circumstances usually lead to the answer. For instance, Emma asks the Doctor why the Daleks didn't kill them, why there's a chair prepared, and how Zektronic energy will allow them to take over the universe in a matter of minutes.
** The answer for the first one and the second are that the Daleks need the Doctor there to help in case something goes wrong, which it does. Their justification for keeping him alive and compliant is quite sound.
** Zektronic energy allows the Daleks to kill the Doctor and the Master in such a way that they can't regenerate or resurrect. Since the Doctor is their biggest obstacle, they have a lot of investment in this ability, which would allow them to steamroll Gallifrey and change the timeline so that they're unopposed.
* HeartwarmingInHindsight: The special ends with Creator/JoannaLumley as the first female Doctor. While she didn't play the Doctor, 2017 saw Creator/JodieWhittaker become the first female Doctor.
** The canonical Tenth Doctor also likes to lick things. He can also be easily described by his fans as "Cute, sexy and lick-the-mirror handsome".
** Creator/RichardEGrant would later go on to play the re-imagined Great Intelligence in Series 7, who functions as an EvilCounterpart to The Doctor.
** Twelve tells the Master and his companion to keep an eye on the universe, "[[Recap/DoctorWhoS31E1TheEleventhHour I've put a lot of work into it.]]" Creator/StevenMoffat later put that exact same line into the prologue of Series 9, spoken by the actual Twelfth Doctor.
** The Doctor [[Recap/DoctorWhoS27E1Rose falling in love with]] and then [[Recap/DoctorWhoS32E13TheWeddingOfRiverSong marrying]] his companion.
** "[[Recap/DoctorWhoS32E4TheDoctorsWife The Doctor's Wife]]" confirms that regeneration gender-bending is possible. While the Doctor hasn't had one yet like in this parody, [[spoiler:"[[Recap/DoctorWhoS34E11DarkWater Dark Water]]" reveals the Master has regenerated into a Time Lady. Her attraction to the Doctor has also escalated.]]
** The new series even has [[Recap/DoctorWhoS27E4AliensOfLondon farting aliens]], albeit not as their primary method of communication.
** In an episode of ''Series/TheThinBlueLine'' (a sitcom starring Creator/RowanAtkinson) while dealing with a lunatic falsely claiming to be a terrorist Rowan's character defuses the situation while stating "he is no more a terrorist then I am Creator/JoannaLumley" and well that goes without saying.
*** Plus, his playing with a toy Dalek in the ''Series/MrBean'' Christmas special.
** The Thirteenth Doctor being female would eventually happen in 2017 when Jodie Whitaker was confirmed to be the first official female Doctor. Funny enough, shes' blonde, just like Joanna Lumley!
* RetroactiveRecognition: The Tenth Doctor (Creator/RichardEGrant) goes on to be the Doctor ''again'' for ''WebAnimation/ScreamOfTheShalka'' (albeit as the Ninth), and was also in "[[Recap/DoctorWhoS33E13TheNameOfTheDoctor The Name of the Doctor]]", where his character threw himself into the Doctor's time line.
* SeinfeldIsUnfunny: With the canonical Thirteenth Doctor being a woman, it's going to get more and more hard to believe that this idea in and of itself was supposed to be a joke at the time.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: Not that it's really this story's fault, given it was a non-canonical charity special, but Creator/RichardEGrant's brief-but-memorable performance here still makes more than a few fans annoyed that he never got the chance to play an official incarnation of the Doctor (''WebAnimation/ScreamOfTheShalka'' aside).