YMMV: Deep Rising
- Awesome Music: While Jerry Goldsmith's entire score is excellent, the real standout is his kick-ass Main Theme.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: You really have to wonder if the final scene was the major inspiration for Lost.
- The Scrappy: Joey, as he is mostly irritating and does nothing to help or further the plot, yet survives over many other more useful characters by dumn luck.
- Special Effects Failure: The creatures do look very good for the time, but whenever they're about to appear for an attack, it's quite obvious the actors are standing in front of a blue-screen for the effects work. This hurts several attacks that were clearly meant to be a surprise.
- When the two leads escape the boat on the jet ski. They're obviously in front of a blue screen. The fact that their hair isn't moving (as if blowing in the wind) is what gives it away.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The creature itself was designed by Rob Bottin (The Howling, The Thing (1982)) with CGI by ILM and Dream Quest Images. There's also a scene with a half-digested Billy by Blur Studio.