- Angst? What Angst?:
Light: L, why?! Why did you leave me?! Why did you leave me alone with these IDIOTS! *sobbing* And... yeah, I'm over it now.
Matsuda: My life's work has just gone up in flames! Just like Light's ex-girlfriend.Near: Too Soon, Matsuda.Light: No it's fine. I'm over it.
- Badass Decay: Near does his Avatar stare with the room spinning effect... and gets really dizzy and throws up. Also:
- Better Than Canon: While some of the revelations are stupid-hilarious, like Raye being Gevanni or Soichiro actually being a Shinigami, making Light a Half-Human Hybrid or even that the entrance to the Shinigami World was Matsuda's sphincter, others do end up making for a more entertaining finale, with Near being a Shinigami himself and planning to take over the world, making Near a much more interesting character to some people.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Souichiro's death Also:
Light: I'm rigging my desk so it will explode if anyone tries to steal my diary.Ryuk: That's a good idea! Wait... Where's your sister at?Light: What sister?Sayu: *screaming*
- Fashion-Victim Villain: Mello
Souichiro: So... Lady Gaga has teamed up with the aliens...
- Growing the Beard: The first two to three episodes are admittedly pretty bad. The series starts to gain its footing after that, but doesn't really fully mature until Season 2. The quality gradually increases, right up until the finale.
- Ho Yay:
Ryuk (to Light): I just noticed how pretty your eyes are.
Roger: Such an angel was plucked from this world too soon!
- And Light has a one-sided crush on L.
- Light and Namikawa. "Hey, L-boy!" Phone sex!
- Inferred Holocaust: what with the Shinigami invasion and Near taking over the world.
- Jerkass Woobie: Light. Sure he's a Serial Killer killing off celebrities but he's also being molested by Shinigami and the man he's fallen in love with just wants to see him executed. His Freak-Out after L dies (while simultaneously being Nightmare Fuel) cements his Woobie status.
- Mello is a strong candidate as well. That poor psycho had to grow up with Near! And he gets killed over a stupid misunderstanding.
- Poor Mikami. The writer really has it in for him. 
- L is ever a Grade A Jerk Ass but still being being Buried Alive / resurrected just to die again was not cool. Actually that was (probably) Beyond Birthday who had stolen L's identity so that also qualifies him for this trope. L himself still qualifies seeing as the real L was being kept alive in Light's basement / lovenest for the last five years. (Probably).
- Les Yay: Misa and Takada.
- Memetic Molester: Ryuk. Also Matsuda and Mogi were hiding in Sayu's room while wearing a giant bear costume in order to spy on her... a "pedobear," if you will.
- "I was only seven. Beyond Birthday NOOOOOO!!!"
- Missing Episode: You can thank YouTube for deleting episode 1.
- No Yay: Ryuk/Light, Beyond/L, Ryuk/Misa, Near/Light, Ryuk x Apples, Souichiro/Ryuk, Matsuda/Ryuk, Demegawa/Kira, Aizawa/Yumi (Aizawa's daughter), Osoreda/Near and the taskforce wanting to gang rape Misa. There's also Gevanni (or rather Raye Penber/the Death Note and Light keeping L (or is it B?) as his Sex Slave.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Takada and Near are far more likeable and/or interesting than their canon counterparts. Takada is a reasonable and likeable Only Sane Woman and Near is Laughably Evil.
- Ron the Death Eater: Souichiro Yagami is a homophobic Abusive Parent, psychotic Gun Nut, and Pyro Maniac... ah, THAT'S where Light gets his crazy genes!
- Also Aizawa within the space of an episode-he wants to violate Misa (though to be fair so do the rest of the taskforce), he got his own daughter pregnant, and it's revealed he pushed Sachiko down the stairs while she was pregnant with Light. Though in Aizawa's case it's because he's being possessed by Souichiro's ghost.
- Also Near is a Shinigami and leader of the invading force that's conquering the Earth and has set Light up to take the fall.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Take That Misa:
Takada: I hope you're not mad but I think my bodyguard crippled your fake girlfriend today.Light: Oh no, that's terrible! Is she paralyzed?Takada: I don't know I'm not a doctor.Light: Will she be able to talk?Takada: At the rate she was blabbing I doubt that death itself would shut her up.Light: Dammit! You should fire your bodyguards!