- Awesome Music: Alan Silvestri's wonderfully bitchy Gothic strings. Also the Stylistic Suck of Songbird!
- Genius Bonus: Songbird! is based on Sweet Bird of Youth, which is about a White-Dwarf Starlet - just like Madeline.
- Ham and Cheese: Everyone does show a tendency to ham it up, and it doesn't hurt the slightest.
Helen: En Garde, bitch!Ernest: Can't you see? IT'S A MIRACLE!
- He's Just Hiding: Apparently, Hollywood zombies do this after a while, like Greta Garbo and Jim Morrison.
- Hollywood Homely: Helen in her early scenes.
- One-Scene Wonder: Isabella Rosselini as Lisle has some of the most hysterical moments in the film, despite having the least screentime. And Catherine Bell was her nudity body double. Also, Sydney Pollack as the doctor who examines Madeline.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: The movie is about as subtle as a bull in a China shop when it comes to its Aesop about aging, but it's damned effective, too.
- Theiss Titillation Theory: Lisle's necklace.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: It won an Academy Award. While some of the effects may seem a little hokey and rough now, at the time putting a backwards head on a woman and putting a hole right through another was a huge leap.